Questions for Discussion for Thai Twist
1. Imagine yourself in Gina’s shoes. How would you feel if you won a trip to an exotic country? Which one would you most like to visit? Whom would you most like to take with you?
2. Gina started an elephant collection by accident. Do you have some collections? What do you most like to collect and why? Are you still collecting, or is it time to start giving your treasures away?
3. Gina finds the Thai language overwhelming. Do you speak another language? Have you studied one? Which other languages would you most like to learn and why?
4. Part of the fun of traveling is discovering completely new things. What do you find the most interesting about Gina’s travels? When you travel, do you like to visit museums and temples, or do you prefer shopping malls and cafés?
5. Gina has to make key decisions during her stay in Thailand. Which ones are the most difficult to make and why? In what ways might they mirror decisions you’ve had to make yourself?
6. Rachel is a determined traveler; her heart is in the right place, but sometimes she’s a bit overboard. Do you have friends or relatives who are like Rachel? In what ways do you admire or emulate them?
7. Thai Twist includes information about some of Thailand’s most famous places. Which descriptions most piqued your imagination? What else do you know about the country or its people? What would you most like to find out?
8. Some of Sompong and Gina’s disagreements could be attributed to cultural differences. In your own friendships, what are some issues that have caused the most serious problems? How have you come to better understandings?
9. Sompong has complicated relationships with his tight-lipped relatives. Consider your own family members. Are you able to ask them important questions? What are some questions that you would most like to ask? What do you need to find out before it’s too late?
10. A key scene between Sompong and Gina takes place at the famous wat on top of Doi Suthep. What’s an important cultural site in your own area or one that you particularly like? What makes it special to you? Whom do you most like to visit it with and why?